Friday, October 5, 2012

"The Lane"

When I was a young child of 8 years, this area was an open pasture where grass was planted for hay. Since we dairy farmed, bailing hay was an annual event. Daddy had bought an old model 39 Chevrolet  which had a fairly large trunk. My brother would take the square bails of hay, stuff the trunk full, and we would take off down this lane. Of course, the ride was bumpy since the lane was red clay dirt with no gravel. We headed to the back pasture where we cut strings off the hay and tossed it about for the cows to eat during winter months.  At other times, I recall walking down the lane with my mother toward the back field to bring cows home to be milked. Those walks provided good times for mother-daughter talks. Sometime during my pre-teen years, daddy bought a horse which we named "Old Maude". Again we went down the lane to bring the cows home to be milked.  About 17 years ago, my parents decided to plant the acreage in pine trees through a Farm Service Administration program. The tall pine trees on both sides of the lane have enhanced its beauty. As I drive out through this memory lane, joys of childhood return. My grandchildren now use the lane for bicycle rides and photography. My 90 year old dad now rides his golf cart or four wheeler through the lane to my house.
"Nature is too thin a screen; the glory of the omnipresent God bursts through everywhere." 
Ralph Waldo Emerson


No comments:

Post a Comment