Thursday, March 15, 2012

Glorious Sunset- Tensions Forgiven


Do you think the dancing of  angels might be making those clouds fluffy?  Maybe their wings floating softly send blue lifting above the sunset on the horizon. Looking at this scene makes me think of the love of God filtering through all the atmosphere to cover me gently with peacefulness to soothe my concerns and soften my heart.
When dealing with your aged parents, have there ever been times when communication seems to come to a standstill? I find myself hearing the same story over again and again until I begin to smile and laugh about the story to release a bit of tension. They seem to become a bit belligerent when I hint that they may have forgotten something. Last fall when I took my mother for a physical, the internist was reviewing the list of concerns which I had written without taking the time to review with my mother prior to the medical visit.When the doctor mentioned that she might benefit from a medication often prescribed for Alzheimer's disease during the stage of early dementia, my mother turned to me and gave me "The Look". I knew I was in trouble when she said to me, "Just when have I forgotten anything? I have had to remember everything for your daddy for 65 years and I think for my age I am doing great." I dared not mention any specific episode because I knew she was furious and after all, I also forget things easily. The doctor, who was only becoming aware of her livid state, went on to mention that he could prescribe the medication and if she decided to take the trial dose for two weeks, she might become clearer in her thinking. My mother, who is 80% deaf in both ears heard him clearly, stood up and said she thought it was time to leave. I agreed, we left and she was not very happy with me on the ride home and for about a week afterward.. Love eventually won out. Have you ever experienced a similar situation where you felt helplessly unable to settle an emotional eruption with your elderly parents? I have learned through time that if  I become resentful or angry, it only lets Satan grab control and destroy relationships. With my mother 87 and my dad 90, it is important not to allow myself to thoughtlessly vent on them or internalize my anger  until I become prideful and resentful. Please post a comment about your similar situations and how you maintain compassion and forgiveness for your elderly parents.
Ephesians 4:26 "In your anger do not sin." " Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry, and 27: do not give the devil a foothold." 31:" Get rid of all bitterness, rage, and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice." 32:" Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ, God forgave you."




No comments:

Post a Comment